What we do
Campaigns & Events
Abortion in N. Ireland
"I need help..."
Make a Donation
Find us on Facebook
05 / 10 / 2012 - Precious Life welcome Irish Bishops Pastoral Message to reject abortion
Precious Life has welcomed the Pastoral Message issued by the Catholic Bishops of Ireland for this year’s Day For Life (Sunday 7th October).
The Irish Catholic Bishop's Conference have made the call to everyone in Ireland to ‘Choose Life!’ and respect the humanity and life of children in the womb and reject abortion.
The Irish Bishops have also initiated a special Month of Prayer dedicated to the theme ‘Choose Life!’, beginning on Day for Life and concludes on the Feast of All the Saints of Ireland.
Director of Precious Life, Bernadette Smyth said, “We welcome the Bishop’s important message at this critical time. We are greatly encouraged by the Bishop's affirmative action in warning the people of Ireland that this is a decisive moment for Ireland; when the Irish Government will soon decide how to respond to a 2010 judgment of the European Court of Human Rights."
"The Bishops are correct in their assertion that the Irish Government is under no obligation to legislate for abortion because of the European Court ruling. In fact, the Government should respond by strengthening the Irish law protecting the right to life of unborn babies. This can still be done while ensuring that pregnant women continue to receive any life-saving treatment they may need.”
In their pastoral message the Bishops state:
• From the moment of conception, every human life is beautiful, every human life is precious and every human life is sacred.
• Government does not have to provide for abortion in Ireland to comply with the ruling of the European Court of Human Rights.
• Legislating for abortion denies the humanity and dignity of the child in the womb and violates the most basic human right of all – the right to life.
• It is never necessary to target the life of the baby in the womb to save the life of the mother. Ireland, without abortion, is consistently one of the safest countries in the world in which to be pregnant.
• Many women who have had abortions speak of their deep regret, and research also confirms the harm that abortion can cause women.
• International experience shows that once abortion is legalised, even in apparently very limited situations, it becomes more widespread than was first intended.
Bernadette Smyth added, “While this pastoral message has been issued to the Catholic faithful in Ireland, the Bishop’s message is a call for all people across the island of Ireland; of all backgrounds and traditions. We support the Bishop’s call to all people to respect the humanity and life of babies in the womb and to reject abortion.”
The Bishops are urging people to support the ‘Choose Life’ initiative by :
• saying the ‘Choose Life’ prayer every day during the special month of prayer: Sunday 7th October (Day for Life) - Tuesday 6th November (Feast of All the Saints of Ireland)
• contacting public representatives asking them to ‘Choose Life’ and not to introduce abortion to Ireland.
• writing letters to local and national newspapers, and participating in radio and televisions debates
• volunteering with a pro-life group.
Bernadette Smyth concluded, “Precious Life look forward to recruiting more volunteers for our life-saving work. Through the vital combination of prayer and action, we change hearts and minds on the issue of abortion, and most importantly, we save babies from abortion. We hold daily prayer vigils outside abortion referral agencies, and distribute pro-life information to the public during our weekly ‘Street Outreach.’ Anyone wishing to support the Bishop’s ‘Choose Life’ initiative by volunteering with a pro-life group can call me on 02890278484.”
On the Day for Life (Sunday 7th October ) Precious Life will hold a Prayer Vigil outside the Irish Parliament (Dail); praying that the Government will reject any attempt to legalise abortion in Ireland, and Ireland's unborn babies and their mothers will continue to be protected. Contact 02890278484 for further details.